For the past few months, Eric & I have been learning to compost after I took a short class from one of the City's programs. After hearing on the news awhile back about how great compost is for growing plants, I was curious, and now I'm hooked. We plan on having a big garden in the spring, so we are starting to prep and research in hopes of great crops! My goal is to have at least 50% of our food come from our garden - I have plans for lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, beans, potatoes, and much more, and I plan to learn how to can and freeze at the same time. I didn't have much luck with containers the past two years, but I'm aiming to improve those odds as well. (Everyone says containers are harder anyways, right?!)
I'm still in the beginning stages of getting things planned out (library books have been borrowed for studying during the drive for Thanksgiving!), but I've learned a lot so far. I've been bookmarking websites left and right (thanks to Pinterest, who loves to take up at least an hour of my day), and just last week discovered smartgardener.com Can you say AWESOME?! So here's our yard space right now that we'll be working with (I still have to check into how much sunlight this side of the house gets though). You can see our compost bin back there, too!
And here's part of what I've been working on through Smart Gardener:
You lay out your garden (we're doing raised beds since our ground is mostly clay), and then it calculates how many people you want to feed and your location and gives you recommended plants, recommended placement of plants, a to-do list by week on when to plant, and more. I was super impressed.
So between now and about the end of February, we'll be working on plans to follow through with this...stay tuned!
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment