So I decided the ol' blog needed a spruce-up yesterday. I'm very ready for spring - this Midwestern, freezing cold winter has lasted long enough! I hate the dry hands and chapped lips, waiting on the car to defrost every morning, having to dress in 5 layers (and not being able to wear half my shoes because they'll be too cold), etc. Maybe this background will help spring to hurry up! :)
I worked on the chair a little more last night...the arms are being a little tricky. I was going to post a sneak peek photo today, but I ran out of time this morning {story of my life it seems like}. I never feel like I have enough time just to chill and get things done at home - Eric came home early from class last night and I barely had enough time to clean the dishes and vacuum up the staples from the chair in the carpet in the office...plus I had about 5 canvases thrown out to dry all across the living room! I've got two canvases to finish before I ship a big box out...hopefully I can get those done by next Monday so the apartment will be picked up and more presentable.
I found this recipe this morning, looks delicious! I may have to try it out soon:
----------
Strawberry Soda Cake
1 - package Strawberry Cake mix (any brand)
1 1/3 cups Strawberry Soda
(strawberry soda is substituted for the amount of water on the cake mix)
2 - 3 Eggs (if you want it lighter and fluffier use three eggs)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 – 2 lbs Fresh Strawberries (Sliced)
Add cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Add egg, oil and strawberry soda. Beat until smooth. Pour into two round cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake as directed on cake mix or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. When cake is done remove from oven and cool in pans for 15 minutes. Then remove to a wire rack and completely cool. Frost first layer with icing and arrange sliced strawberries on top. Add the second cake layer and frost top and sides with more icing and top with more sliced strawberries. Save one whole strawberry for the middle of the cake. Gently slice and fan the whole strawberry, Place on top in the middle of the cake.
Measurements vary depending on what brand of cake mix you use. Follow the directions on the back of the box substituting strawberry soda for the amount of water listed. Also add the amount of eggs and oil stated on the mix, I use Duncan Hines.
***For my icing, I made a typical cream cheese kind. Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar and Vanilla!
----------
I'm attempting to get more caught up on the Dave Ramsey series since I only have 9 weeks left to access the website (a huge thanks to Grandpa Art and Grandma Ivah for getting me set up on it!!).Unfortunately, my internet browser likes to give me trouble with the video and I can only watch it on my laptop, so I've been a little slow with it.
I listened to the section this morning on creating a budget - something I wish I started a LONG time ago! Eric and I started creating our own monthly budget right before we got married, and it took us (well, me) several months to get into the swing of it. I was so used to spending basically all my paycheck on eating out, shopping, getting my hair done, etc. Then, if I had a little leftover at the end of a payperiod I would put a little bit into savings. I had a semi-decent amount saved up by the time I graduated, but looking back, I wish I would've disciplined myself to have a little more. So now, here we are as newlyweds living on one income...goodbye $100 hair color appointments, ordering whatever off the menu out at dinner, shopping every few weekends, etc! Definitely a big change, but we're doing well with it. When we did our budget, we actually had calculated my pay at about $50 less than what it actually is so we have a little extra savings each month. And, I transfer money to savings on payday, not later on - definitely helps to just make that money "disappear" before you can spend it. :) Now, if only the economy were better so I could get more interest off of it! Having a strict budget in place definitely makes me think twice before I go spending money.
That's about it for today...I'm ready for an early Valentine's dinner at Olive Garden tonight!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Have a nice time at Olive Garden! Btw.. I LOVE your layout girlie. What did you use to make it?
Post a Comment